To make caring and inclusive pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum services and education accessible to low-income families and the broader community.
Transforming the way we envision birth and early parenting in our communities.
Why the Doula Support Foundation?
To help people & families in our community who need our support the most:
We strongly believe that everyone who wishes to have a doula should be able to have one. We want to be able to make doula care available to all those who would find value in such services but would not otherwise be able to afford it. We would like to do this through:
- Offering continuous labour and birth support, so that birthing people and their families feel cared for, respected, heard, and informed;
- Providing prenatal and postpartum support, while also providing referrals and information about community resources;
- Providing lactation support to help those interested in getting breastfeeding/chestfeeding off to the best start possible.
TO SUPPORT DOULAS:
Particularly because female-dominated professions/care work such as being a doula are too often undervalued (especially when the care is focused on women and gender nonconforming folks), we want to ensure that doulas are properly compensated for the work they do in helping families and people in the community. Additionally, we want to:
- Increase awareness about the value of doula care;
- Ensure a level of professionalism for those working as doulas;
- Engage in advocacy and collaborative work to advance reproductive health and maternal and newborn health locally, provincially, and more broadly.
Our goal is to make sustainable doula services available to all those who want them but could not otherwise afford them.
We want to transform the way birth and parenting is envisioned in our communities.
DSF aims to offer full-spectrum doula care through the following doula professionals:
- Labour & birth doulas — who will take you from pregnancy, through labour and birth, and into the transition of adjusting to life with a newborn;
- Postpartum doulas — who will help you thrive through the milestones of the first year of having a new baby;
- Bereavement doulas — in cases of pregnancy and infant loss, bereavement doulas will be available guide and support you. This includes full-spectrum, non-judgemental support for various circumstances.