"Much too good for children" Cookies
A doula and her family make baking a time for fun and learning in her warm, homey kitchen perfect for winter days spent grazing and chatting.
This year, Mandy and her youngest kids made a ginger snap recipe that was gifted to Mandy in her early postpartum days by a friend. Back then, she kept these delicious bites all to herself quoting the beloved Mrs. Trunchbull from Matilda "Much too good for children."
Whether you choose to share or snack away alone, here is the recipe for these spicy sweet ginger snaps!
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and molasses; beat well.
2. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix well.
3. Chill dough.
4. Roll into balls and dip in sugar.
5. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until set and surface cracks. Shorten the cook time for a chewier cookie!
Recipe yeilds 4 dozen.
Enjoy... and if you are left wondering about whether Mandy shares the cookies with her kids now, the photo above proves yes!
Stay tuned for next weeks doula family baking session and if you have a recipe or family baking moments to share, tag us @doulasupportfoundation and use the hashtag #bakingwithdoulas.